23 August 2011
Colored Men Admiralty Case files
WOW look what I found today at NARA in Atlanta!
Admiralty case # 2169 Felix Verzone vs Steamer “Hagood” & Cities Service Transportation Co. 1929 – [three case folders]
Beginning of direct examination of witnesses;
Q. What is your name… A. Erskine Connolly
Q. How old are you… A. 68
Q. Are you a colored man … A Yes, sir, a negro
Q. What nationality are you… A. I am an American negro.
Q. You have a colored crew, have you not… A. yes, sir.
[Connolly was the Mate on the schooner “Geneva Kathleen” He held a Master’s certificate. was born in the West Indes & a naturalized citizen.] File contains Connolly’s handwritten log book for the “Geneva Kathleen”!!
Other ‘colored men mentioned in Connolly’s testimony are;
- Edward Raymond, age 36, British subject but claiming for American citizenship, born Grand Caman, cook & able bodied seaman
– Carles [Charles) Johnson , age 42, Nassau, British West Indes, able bodied seaman
– Stanley Gourzong, age 35, British subject, born Grand Caman, able bodied seaman , lives in Tampa, [described as a yellow fellow]
– Thomas, [no last name] ordinary seaman -
- Witness Willie Wood, cook for 29 years, San Blas Indian